Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The marathon has begun

I remember my first 10K race. I was not in contention for any prizes. It was a personal test of my endurance. The adrenalin was flowing and my muscles anxious for the race to begin. The gun sounded, and the race began. My muscles began doing what they had been trained for and the anxious tension diminishes. That is where I am in my "race" to becoming a teacher. The excitement of the first few days has given way to the steady beat of feet hitting pavement. I'm in the first half mile and it's a long road before me. I want to jump ahead to the finish line, but realize it will get here, just keep one foot in front of the other.

There is so much I don't know. I've finished my first semester and see the vast road ahead and want to jump to the end. I remember: one foot in front of the other. What steps can I take during these holidays? I'm focusing on assessment: standards-based assessment in particular. Intel has a free internet course that I'm working on and there are math teachers blogging about their experiences. I'm hoping to find a local teacher doing it so I can observe first hand how it can be done. Have I mentioned that there is so much that I don't know? How can I possibly learn it all in one year? One foot in front of the other.....

1 comment:

  1. First, came here via Dan Myer. If he blogrolls you, much respect.

    Second, wonderful analogy. I am a 9 year veteran (HA!?!) high school math teacher at age 31, who has ran a half marathon and plenty of shorter races.

    My take and mini words of advice: When running, you can't advance your mileage by 10% or your body eventually fails. Sorta the same with teaching: You won't learn it all in one year....the key is to make sure you learn for all of that year.

    By just looking at a few of your posts, you have already got the passion and enthusiasm necessary to be excellent. Embrace your early successes, and learn even more from the struggles. Don't push yourself crazy hard all the time, just as you can't sprint a marathon.

    And just as you would never pass up a water station in a marathon, and you might even walk through one....make sure you take the time to replenish and rejuvenate yourself...and sometimes the students need a day or two like that.

    You're a mom of 7, according to your profile, and a couple years my senior, so maybe you should be advising me...still single .. :( but keep going foot up and foot down. Keep aiming for personal bests.

    Good luck to you...Just running the same race alongside you...except i'm in Texas.

    ReplyDelete